Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

One of my treasures


Several years ago, when my friend Christine still lived in a suburb of St. Louis, MO, I took Amtrak from Michigan to St. Louis to visit her and to attend a class by Caryl Bryer Fallert, who to me is one of the goddesses of the quilting world.  She's a true artist.  While taking the class was wonderful, being able to purchase one of the small quilts she had brought along to sell was even more wonderful.  Her hand-dyed fabrics and her fabulous machine quilting on a domestic machine are amazing.  If you click on the pictures, you can see more detail.

I remember the first time I saw her work up close was at the big quilt show in Paducah, KY, the year her quilt Corona II: Solar Eclipse won Best Of Show there.  The quilt police were out in force.  As I was standing in front of the quilt with my jaw on my chest at the amazing design and quilting, some of them came up, looked at the quilt, and in horrified tones, were saying, "But it's all just machine quilted!"  I blurted out, "Yes, and magnificently!"  They gave me some very cross looks and walked away muttering to each other, LOL.  You can see the quilt at this link.  And this link takes you to a page showing how she made the quilt, and also shows the back of the quilt, which is awesome all by itself.


This is the back of my little C.B.F. quilt, and you can see the gorgeous quilting in even more detail.  I know my machine quilting is never going to come close to this, but I'm still going to try.  :)

2 comments:

  1. It's stunning Pat; I feel like reading your blog is a college class in art and quilting. The only quilter I could name off the top of my head is Eleanor Burns (and I probably got her name wrong!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eleanor Burns is quite a contrast with Caryl Bryer Fallert, isn't she? I love that she made quilting easier and more accessible for lots of women, but I also love the artists in the quilting field. There's room for everyone under the quilting umbrella. :)

    ReplyDelete