Powered By Blogger

Monday, November 21, 2011

Another TOBE quilt top


Yesterday I mentioned putting up another picture of a TOBE quilt top--this one was made by another Treadleon member using blocks from more than one exchange, plus some extra muslin in the inner border.  They're all 6" blocks.  I line the way she used the Rail Fence and Half Square Triangle blocks to frame the small pieced and appliqued blocks, and the use of the half square triangles in the outer border.  This is also a great example of the importance of value (light and dark) in making a pleasant design.  I also am a big fan of using prints and tone-on-tones instead of using solid colors, to add lots of visual texture to the quilt. The muslin in the body of the quilt and in that inner border offer a great place to practice free motion quilting skills.  I wish I could remember which member did this top.  If you're listening out there, please speak up!  I'd love to give credit for your work.

If you have been in block exchanges in the past, this might be a good idea for using those orphan blocks in your UFO stash.  Come to think of it, I ought to take a look at my UFO stash......

If you're interested in old sewing machines, and using them to create beauty, you might like to visit a site dedicated to that-- www.treadleon.net is the place to go.  Most of us do our work on treadle and hand crank machines, and keep our electric machines a secret.  Sort of like that embarrassing relative, LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment