A few years earlier, I had purchased a kit for doing marbled fabric at the show in Paducah, after I took a workshop on doing it at my quilt guild in Kalamazoo, MI. When I got home with the kit, I called Agnes, the friend who quilted A Midsummer Night's Dream (the quilt from yesterday) for me, and we spent a lovely afternoon doing small pieces of marbled fabric. I could see why it's so expensive to buy! It's very labor-intensive, and the materials are costly. At any rate, when I decided to do this coat, I dug out all the marbled pieces, lots of batiks, and the panels. To give more interest to the large back panel, I sliced across it with a rotary cutter and sewed two 1" strips of black fabric in to make a 1/2" line through it, then sliced it the other way and sewed in three 1" strips crossing the first ones. It was a bit finicky, making the severed fish bodies match up, but I liked the effect. Instead of batting, I cut up an old flannel sheet into two fronts and a back, making the pieces extra big to allow for shrinkage as the quilting happened, and stuck them up on the design wall. Then I began building the fabric. I made some wonky 9 patches, cutting the fabrics on angles to sew together, and added triangles to them and to the 9 little batik panels, tossed in lots of other shapes to bring the pieces together, and eventually had large enough fabric pieced to cover the flannel pieces. Tomorrow I will discuss the quilting and construction of the coat.
Saturday, November 12, 2011
Adventures with quilted clothing
I'm not much of a one for doing clothing. A garment has to curve around a body. Quilts are so much simpler--they just have to lie flat. My mom was an excellent seamstress in her day--she could use the Vogue designer patterns. I couldn't even read their directions. :o But, I bought a lovely batik panel with fish on it and a packet of nine smaller batik squares with sea creatures at the Houston show one year. So, I set out to make a swing coat that just had 2 pieces--front and back. I can't remember now where the pattern came from, but it was a multi-sized one suitable for us fluffy ladies. It's probably still in my messy studio somewhere.
Posted by Pat in Rockport, TX at 8:36 AM