Powered By Blogger

Monday, December 5, 2011

A Reversible Quilt



Several years ago, I combined stuff I had learned over the years in at least 3 different workshops and turned it into a class I've taught a few times.  This looks like two quilts, but it's actually just one, with a totally different look on the back.  It starts with 12" squares of batting.  Then I cut 13" squares of the large prints and lots of 1.5 or 2 inch strips that went with the fabrics.  For example, all the strips on the side with the scarecrows are prints of vegetables you might find in your garden.  The sashing strips have ears of corn on them.  The strips on the side with the little alligators I chose to look well with that fabric, with that strong yellow fabric for contrast. I used the yellow on that side as the sashing, too.  To start the blocks, I placed the large triangles on opposite sides of the batting, and not directly opposite each other--there was bare batting under each triangle.  Then, I stuck pins through the approximate center of the batting blocks to make sure that the triangle fabric on each side would be caught in the first seam.  I put a strip on each side in position so that the first seam sewn would let me flip that strip and press it away from the triangles.  After that, it was just a matter of sewing on more strips to the first ones and pressing them, until the batting was covered on that side, and then doing the same on the other side of the block, to cover the other side.  This results in a block that is all quilted when done, and ready to be put together with its mates.  More about this process later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment