Saturday, October 29, 2011
To answer some questions...
Quilter's Newsletter Magazine did a nice writeup, but printed my poor quilt on its side!
Since Mary wanted to know a little more about this quilt, I will try to remember as much as I can about it and tell all. This may be difficult--I've slept since then....
The rules of the contest included the size--the quilts were to measure ~40" on a side. With that as my guiding factor, I started thinking about block sizes. I knew that I wanted the quilt to appear to be 3-D, too, so that would require some oddly-shaped blocks. So, I started with four 10" 8-pointed stars on the bottom. That left 30" to work with on the sides, so I did five 6" and six 5" stars on the sides. Unfortunately, that left 29" at the top for the little stars, so they had to be 4" plus a smidge. I'm sure none of you do this, but I tend to use bad language when dealing with these little difficulties, LOL, so the air may have been slightly blue in my studio for a day or two.
At about this time, one of my weekly quilting groups was in the middle of a Friendship Block round--we took turns deciding what we wanted, and then the group would make us a block in the pattern/colors/size that we specified. One of the ladies had us make a 4", yes I said 4", Mariner's Compass. We all told her she was lucky to have any friends after that one, LOL. But, having made one and kept the pattern, I thought it would make a splendid center for a 14" Mariner's Compass, so that's what I did for this little quilt. I wanted the Compass to show up as though it was floating in space. This was easily accomplished by adding a half inch around the block. And I chose the fabric for the background and for the slanted stars, black with small figures, because I thought it could look like stars in space, and the slanted stars would look like holes in the surface showing the stars behind that surface. When I worked on the slanted stars, I adjusted them so that the large center block would be roughly in the center of the quilt--that meant that none of those eight blocks had the same templates, which meant I needed to number each piece and each block differently to be sure they would fit. I drew all the blocks on graph paper for accuracy. They all had to be hand-pieced. Once the quilt was together, I chose the border fabric. I thought it complimented the quilt nicely. Mary also asked about the fabric choices overall. I happen to like the scrappy look, so for the outer stars, I picked out 8 greens that seemed to look well together, and mixed and matched, trying to keep the blocks as different from each other as possible. I don't remember for sure, but think I quilted it on my Pfaff 1475CD.
Posted by Pat in Rockport, TX at 8:49 AM